The Republican Party of Brazos County is looking for Precinct Chairs
The deadline is Thursday, October 4
The 254 counties in Texas are further divided into voter precincts, each led by a Precinct Chair. Precinct Chairs are the lifeblood of the Republican Party. They sit on their county’s Executive Committees, help conduct Party business in their counties, and play a critical role in contacting Republican voters in their individual precincts. There is no more important job in the Republican Party. This is a great opportunity for Tea Party members and conservatives to influence the course of the Republican Party.
Term of Office and Qualifications
The precinct chair is an elected party official. In 2012, due to redistricting, the normal process has been altered. The term of office for a precinct chair is two years, beginning on the 20th day following the Primary runoff election. The County Executive Committee fills vacancies for unexpired terms.
A precinct chair should be an outgoing, self-motivated person who likes people. To be eligible for the office of precinct chair, an individual must meet these requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a qualified voter who has affiliated with the Republican Party in the voting year
- Be a resident of the precinct from which he or she is seeking election
- Not be a candidate for or holder of an elective office of the federal, state, or county government
- (Optional, but highly desirable) have Internet and e-mail capabilities and basic computer skills
Filing for Office—by October 4
A qualified individual interested in running for precinct chair must do the following:
- Download a filing an application form (attached), or obtain one from your county chair or county party secretary
- Complete the application
- Sign the application before a notary public
- Have the form notarized
- Submit the application to the County Chair
- Check the filing deadline when you pick up your application. The completed, signed, and notarized application may be mailed to the county chair, but it must be received by theOct. 4 filing deadline.